dhcpd server - Can't bind to dhcp address. Address already in use

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Tue Jun 22 21:19:53 UTC 2004

At 08:25 AM 6/20/2004, Grey Kuyper wrote:
>You are, of course correct. The subnet line says:
>    range 192.168.0.100 192.168.0.200
>
>In any event. The boot attempt just prior to the subnet declaration being
>commented out behaved identically to the previous attempts and the
>behaviour did not change after commenting the subnet declaration out.
>Since changing the dhcpd.conf has no effect on the outcome I would guess
>the problem is before the dhcpd.conf

You're welcome to guess. However, if you actually want help in diagnosing
the issue, you're going to have to cooperate more. Notice that you haven't
answered most (any?) of my questions: entire dhcpd.conf, contents of
/etc/sysconfig/dhcpd, results of "netstat -leanp", output in the logs at
/var/log/messages... nothing. Add "chkconfig --list | grep :on" to that
list, too. You didn't even touch on a key issue: where you got the package.
A tarball from ISC is going to behave differently from an RPM install by
Red Hat. And until and unless you give the rest of the world something to
chew on, then guessing is all that can be done.

<growl> I'm not all that shabby at getting things to work. However, I am
not telepathic, nor do I have a secret access to your system, nor can I
guess from nearly zero data what the problem might be. If you can't provide
details and data, I cannot help you... and won't waste time trying. </growl>

Good luck,

> >That is what is so weird. This is an "out of the box install". Nothing
> >fancy, nothing strange. Works on the laptop, fails on the server.

P.S. It cannot *possibly* work out of the box on an RHL or FC system, since
those packages don't provide a dhcpd.conf at all. Always pissed me off,
that. But you are providing grossly incomplete, sometimes contradictory,
and even at times bluntly impossible information. Can you do better?

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com
http://www.simpaticus.com