how to get more verbose messages

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Tue Jun 22 21:24:36 UTC 2004

Hi all,
I am having problem with server locks up during heavy rsync. I am trying to
rsync abou 40GB of data (/home directory from some remote machine), and this
is the 3 third times in a day the server just suddenly locks up in the middle
of rsync. Only cold reboot work. The server run software RAID 5.

So I'm wondering if there's a way of getting more verbose messages of what's
happening with the machine.

I know the possibilities are flaky hardware, but there's nothing in
/var/log/messages when this happened. I'm planning on running memtest86 on
it, but other than that, I would appreciate any suggestion anyone can give to
start troubleshooting this.

Thanks in advance for any help.
RDB
--