Please help as soon as possible

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Thu Jun 24 03:48:34 UTC 2004

On June 23, 2004 09:05 am, Nitin wrote:
> I'm talking about server side of my sendmail. I used mail utility of Linux
> to check the mail and it now doesn't show the messages printed once.
> There's an option 'unread' but it can only be used, while you are still in
> the session......
>
> Using Sendmail 8.9.3 on Redhat Linux 7.2.
>
> There's absolutely no messagebox file like there should be in
> /var/spool/mail. So what happened to those messages? are they deleted as
> soon as read ?
>
> Any help or links will b highly appreciated..
>
> Thanks

Hi,
If you used "mail' on the server (who's mail did you say you were reading?),
then if you hit 'd' after reading the message, that would delete it when you
exit 'mail'. However, If you hit 'n' (next message) or 'q' then those
messages should still be there. Have a look at 'man mail'.
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce