Routing RH 8

jim.marnell at cca-int.com jim.marnell at cca-int.com
Thu Jun 24 11:34:43 UTC 2004

Running stock rh 8 with two ethernet interfaces but only one interface can
communicate with other machines on the local network. I'm now wondering if
maybe I missed a setting that will allow box to route.
Netstat -nr looks good - default is segment router and segment router has
static route defined to get back to this box for the 10.10.30.0 network.
eth0 can ping router
eth1 is 10.10.30.248 and cannot ping router
I cannot ping from eth1 to eth0 but I can ping eth1 from eth0.
Of course there are no clues in any logs that I can see.
I looked at iptables and tcp wrapper setup and I don't see problem.
I'm suspicious of a ip_forwarding switch that needs to be set but cannot
find any info on it.
Any ideas? I've worked with rh only a short amount of time so I don't yet
know all the gotchas & tricks.
Thanks very much....I've been struggling with this for some time and am on
the verge of computer insanity.
-Jim