Inheriting group ownership under Red Hat Linux?

Rigler, Steve SRigler at MarathonOil.com
Thu Jun 24 17:56:56 UTC 2004

 For some reason, setting "2775" doesn't work under all OS's while
settings "g+s" does.  Linux doesn't seem to have this problem, but
I've seen it on Solaris and Irix.

-Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Carl Riches
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2004 12:51 PM
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Subject: Re: Inheriting group ownership under Red Hat Linux?

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Pete Nesbitt wrote:

> Hi,
> What Unix are you using? Solaris works the same as RH.

This is how it worked under Ultrix, and later under OSF1/Digital Unix/
Compaq Tru64 Unix.

> Anyway, use "chmod 2775 dir_name"  (not 1775 which sets suid)
> That sets the directory to SGID and will result in any files or
sub-dirs
> created within  'dir_name' will have the creators owner and the
directories
> group.
> If you prefer letters instead of the nuimber permissions,
> it is "chmod g+s dir_name"

Thanks.  Actually, I was able to answer this question myself doing a web
search on the terms "linux inherit group ownership".  It took writing to
this mailing list before I was able to make a coherent enough statement
of
the problem to do the web search.

> You may also want to run over the existing files with
>  "chown -R  group_name dir_name"
> --

Thanks,
Carl

Carl G. Riches
Software Engineer
Department of Mathematics
Box 354350			voice:     206-543-5082 or 206-616-3636
University of Washington	fax:       206-543-0397
Seattle, WA  98195-4350		internet:  riches at ms.washington.edu