Problems in setting display variable for X Windows server

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Fri Jun 25 01:06:24 UTC 2004

On June 24, 2004 12:00 pm, santhosh wrote:
> Hi,
>     Thanks for the suggestions, but I should have informed you that
> a) I have logged in as root directly into the window using a ssh connection
> (putty)
> b) I have tried to put things back....its still not working....
>
>                     Here is some info I gathered.....I heard that if an
> user is logged into the X server and opened a connection....nobody else can
> open another connection.....so I am wondering if something got messed
> up...and though nobody is using the connection...the server still has some
> files left behind to believe that someone else is using the connection
>

> Regards,
> Santhosh

If you are ssh'ing in to run X, you can't do that. You want to log in via ssh
launched from an X terminal on your local machine. Then in the ssh session
execute the X app you want to run on the remote machine and it will be
displayed locally.

The X server can run lots of sessions at once, that's why it is a server :)
There can only be one instance of a X server running per display (not the
actual monitor), that is why you want to remove any old lock files that may
have been created on any of the failed X startups (as your error message
indicated).

In X, the server is your local keyboard, mouse and video, while the client is
the remote application. So when you run "xhost +" it should be on your local
machine, to allow _any_  machine to display it's X application on your local
machine. I don't think you'll need to do that though, as ssh should take care
of X forwarding (which I beleive is on by default).

Hope that helps.
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce