Inheriting group ownership under Red Hat Linux?

Matthew Melvin matthewm at webcentral.com.au
Fri Jun 25 01:59:06 UTC 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 at 10:51am (-0700), Carl Riches wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Jun 2004, Pete Nesbitt wrote:
>

> > Hi,
> > What Unix are you using? Solaris works the same as RH.
>
> This is how it worked under Ultrix, and later under OSF1/Digital Unix/
> Compaq Tru64 Unix.
>
> > Anyway, use "chmod 2775 dir_name"  (not 1775 which sets suid)
> > That sets the directory to SGID and will result in any files or sub-dirs
> > created within  'dir_name' will have the creators owner and the directories
> > group.
> > If you prefer letters instead of the nuimber permissions,
> > it is "chmod g+s dir_name"
>
> Thanks.  Actually, I was able to answer this question myself doing a web
> search on the terms "linux inherit group ownership".  It took writing to
> this mailing list before I was able to make a coherent enough statement of
> the problem to do the web search.

Although it sounds like the chmod has fixed your problem, it may be worth
noting that if you mount a filesystem with the 'grpid' option under linux it
will behave the same as you would expect from your other *nx systems.

M.

--
WebCentral Pty Ltd           Australia's #1 Internet Web Hosting Company
Level 5, 100 Wickham St.         Network Operations - Senior Systems Eng