Mail Server migration

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Fri Jun 25 02:01:22 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 01:19:17PM -0700, Eucke Warren wrote:
> I have an old RH6(?) or 7 server running Postfix serving a number of
> users.  I am replacing it with a completely new server and a new RH9
> build using Sendmail.  Am I being naive to assume that I can simply
> copy the /var/spool/mail folder, /home folder and the /etc/passwd file
> to the new server to preserve the existing users mail?

You can coyp /var/spool/mail but not /etc/passwd.  What you want to do
is grab the /etc/passwd entries for uids over 500, match those with the
shadow entries (/etc/shadow), repeat for /etc/group and /etc/gshadow,
and append those entries to your existing files.  I am assuming you
enabled shadow passwords on your older systems - my 6.2 system certainly
had shadow passwords.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA