Router/Firewall Recommendation

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Fri Jun 25 12:40:06 UTC 2004

On Friday 25 June 2004 01:20 am, Otto Haliburton wrote:
<snip>
>I'm going to sum up and then I'm going to forget this thread.  The problem
> here is to get the simplest solution that solves the problem with the least
> amount of effort.

No man.. NO. The problem here is to give options to the user. Read back the
OP. He was wondering if using RH machine as firewall is an option, a good
idea. He also wanted to have good logging and stuff.

Your solution so far with your "cant be hacked" LBB not only miss the point,
but also does not answer the OP's question. Other people are helpful by
giving options with experience of what they do on different situations. You
are not. Just-put-a-linksys-router-that-can't -be-hack is certainly not
helpful.

> If the user is here to learn and get to know how to
> setup iptables and linux routers then he can take off and do the bullshit
> you're spitting out.  If he wants a seamless solution that is cheap and
> good he goes out and buys a router,

No, he wants to know his options with linux firewall. You're not giving any.
And yes, users are here to learn. I'm here to learn by reading the posts, not
just finding solution. If one don't care about learning, then just go to best
buy or compUSa or something and pay the tech guy there to install it at your
home. In my case, just by reading this threads I learn what my options are
for putting firewall. I probably even do the "bullshit" of setting up linux
firewall.

<snip>
> trying to out do the other, but get useful info and any simple reading of
> this thread will find that the only one off base is the one trying throw
> out insults.
By reading this thread I know that your info of a cant-be-hacked LBB is not
useful at all.

RDB
--
Reuben D. Budiardja