Router/Firewall Recommendation

Otto Haliburton ottohaliburton at comcast.net
Fri Jun 25 12:48:14 UTC 2004

again we have a difference in opinion.  The guy gets into setting a linux
box up for routing and using iptables.  If he had the ability to effectively
do this he wouldn't be sending a post to this list.  By the time he spends
time learning how to do all of the things necessary to setup the linux box
and then fine tune it to do what he wanted to do, he could have been up and
running with an effective firewall in 15 min.  That is the point, you know
the K.I.S.S. principle.  I don't believe half of the people read these
threads effectively.  The topic should give you a clue and the
recommendation was to use the simplest effective method and that was to buy
a router and install it.  And if you didn't read further I will say it
again.  If you are seeking a learning experience then setup the linux box as
a router and go for it, but it is not trivial as some seem to be saying.