Router/Firewall Recommendation

Eucke euckew at sierraelectronics.com
Fri Jun 25 13:33:59 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Otto Haliburton" <ottohaliburton at comcast.net>
To: <techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu>; "'General Red Hat Linux discussion
list'" <redhat-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Friday, June 25, 2004 6:12 AM
Subject: RE: Router/Firewall Recommendation

> here it is again, all thieves can get around all alarms on any car, but
why
> waste the effort on a protected car when there are many unprotected cars
out
> there.  People that are out to network these computers together are going
> waste there time on a computer behind a firewall when there are many
> computers on the internet without one.  That's what is meant by keep it
> simple simon (or stupid or whatever needs to go there).  If you have the
> option of using a 3000 dollar machine as a router, good for you, but a
> simple effective alternative is a 40 dollar router.  You get the point.

LBB?  Linux Router with stateful inspection?  Cisco "Gibson" watching your
connection?  Guess what?  Some Jackass in the sales department just plugged
a Wireless Access Point into your network without talking to anyone in IT
and your wonderful firewall is now meaningless.  Guys, please put this
thread to bed.  There's been alot of opinions thrown about and read by the
people asking for them.  Let them decide which route to go and accept that
your view may not be accepted as law...it's kinda how these things go....
Can we get back to the business of "peer assistance" that this list is meant
for and leave the "leg pissing" to other lists?

-Eucke