Wireless security

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Fri Jun 25 14:44:58 UTC 2004

Although I have lots of security and network background experience, I'm
a neophyte when it comes to wireless security.  I've got a Linksys
8-port router which serves my internal network, and I am in the process
of integrating wireless into the mix.  I'd like to do this preferably
without shooting myself in both feed. I've added a 4-port Linksys
wired/wireless combo, a wireless USB interace for my TiVo, and I'm
adding a laptop that will be some days be wired and some days be
wireless.  Does anybody have a cheat sheet on what security features I
need to turn on and how good they really are these days?  I've turned
on MAC address restrictions but that's been it so far.

Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org