Problems in setting display variable for X Windows server

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Fri Jun 25 22:53:51 UTC 2004

On June 25, 2004 10:31 am, santhosh wrote:
> Hi Pete,
>                  Thanks for the info, but let me explain in detail the
> thing I am trying to do.
>
> I have installed Informatica Power analyzer, a Data warehouse reporting
> tool on a Linux Box. The application is running on jBoss server. There are
> servlets that create charts. The web server enables users to access these
> charts through a browser throughout the network. Now this servlet needs X
> windows server for the charts display, so they connect to the X server by
> the display variable localhost:0, but unfortunately this is not happening,
> and that's why those error messages. It was working fine till I tried to
> change the hostname of the Linux box. I have reverted back to old settings
> but things are not working yet. I am not familiar with Linux environment to
> a great extent, so I was trying to find a way to set the display variable
> so that the servlet accesses the server, regarding the lock files, where
> should I go and delete them????
>

> Regards
> Santhosh

Hi Santhosh,

I'm not sure I quite follow the servlet part, as I don't know anything about
java. But shouldn't they be connecting with display set to their local IP as
in "192.168.1.10:0" otherwise it may be getting interpretted as trying to
display on the web servers localhost.

You probably don't need to worry about lock files, but if there are lock
files, they will be in /tmp.
>From one of your errors:
Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 0
        If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X0-lock
        and start again.

If you have an X server running, it will have  /tmp/.X0-lock, so you should
quit X, then from a console, check that no .X0-lock, .X1-lock... files remain
in /tmp. However, if an Xserver was running all along, and you were trying to
launch a second, there will only be the one lock file, which will be for your
running X session. If you wanted to start a second X session on the same box,
you would use display 0:1, which should creat a  .X1-lock file.

--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce