rh 8.0 bootup issue....

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Fri Jun 25 23:14:45 UTC 2004

On June 25, 2004 07:25 am, bruce wrote:
> hi...
>
> i have a rh 8.0 generic box that i'm trying to bring up... when the box
> goes through the login procedure.. it goes through the checking process for
> the various services, etc... and then it gets to a point where it appears
> to have a watch/icon in the middle of the screen and it seems to
> hang/die/not continue..
>
> i've got a monitor/keyboard/mouse/ether hooked to the box.
>
> any idea as to what might be going on, how to continue/force it to
> continue, or am i going to have to reinstall from scratch...
>
> any reasonable comments/pointers appreciated..
>
> thanks
>
> -bruce
>
> ps...
>
> i've also got another 3 boxes (rackable 1u servers) 3-4 years old that have
> appeared to die. i turn the boxes on, the light/diode for the eth interface
> is functioning/lit, but nothing happens.. could this be power
> related/motherboard... in other words.. can they be saved!!! i'm hoping
> that somebody else has run into this kind of problem, and managed to have a
> cheap/easy/happy solution!
>
> yeah, i know that the answer is probably nope! but i'm hopeful...

Hi Bruce,
It sounds like it is trying to start X but for some reason failing. Can you
start in run level 3?
You can do that several ways, here's two:
1) at boot, on the GRUB menu hit "e", then toggle to the line with the kernel
entry and the end, after a space, type "3". Then I think it is "b" to boot,
but check the on screen menu.
2) if your machine is at the hang-point, try ctrl-alt-F1 (F1 -F6) to see if
you get a login prompt.

The second  issue with 3 dead boxes really sounds like a hardware problem,
especially if they all died at once. The only happy answer I could suggest is
they are all on the same UPS which is not sending enough juice to start the
servers.

Hope that helps.
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce