connect two linux boxes by a crossover cable

Yu Sun yusun9_99 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 27 19:58:22 UTC 2004

Hi,
I connected two Linux boxes with a crossover cable to create a mini
LAN. The OS is Redhat 9.0 one both machine.

Ping host1 from host2 or from host2 to host1 is OK. This shoudl
indicate the IP addresses etc are set up correctly.  I also enabled
the telnet, rsh, shh, rlogin services on both machines (I am not so
experienced linux user, maybe not quite right). The problems are when
I use telnet or others except ping, e.g.
% telent host1

I alwalys get "connection refused".

Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to solve the problem?
Thanks!

Yu