connect two linux boxes by a crossover cable

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Sun Jun 27 20:38:43 UTC 2004

On Sunday 27 June 2004 03:58 pm, Yu Sun wrote:
> Hi,
> I connected two Linux boxes with a crossover cable to create a mini
> LAN. The OS is Redhat 9.0 one both machine.
>
> Ping host1 from host2 or from host2 to host1 is OK. This shoudl
> indicate the IP addresses etc are set up correctly.  I also enabled
> the telnet, rsh, shh, rlogin services on both machines (I am not so
> experienced linux user, maybe not quite right). The problems are when
> I use telnet or others except ping, e.g.
> % telent host1
>
> I alwalys get "connection refused".

Telnet service by default is off, for a good reason. It's not secure. SSH is
just as easy. All you need to do is make sure it's on for both machine. Run
the following (as root):

service sshd start

Then, to make sure it's always on after boot:

chkconfig sshd on

Now you can do:

ssh username at host1

There's also scp to securely copy files which might be useful gor you (do 'man
scp') as part of the ssh package.

HTH
RDB

--