Hang related to Internet connection

Elmer E. Dow elmeredow at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 29 04:56:36 UTC 2004

I have an IBM R40 laptop running RH9 2.4.20-31.9. I've installed the Agere modem driver recommended by IBM. Ppp wouldn't load automatically so I load it with "modprobe ppp_async" from the command line, then start Kppp and dial in. The modem works fine, but the system hangs when I'm online and I try to use Mozilla, Mozilla mail, Balsa, etc.  For example, Balsa loads almost immediately when I'm offline, but when online it takes many minutes to load, if at all. Konqueror is the only Internet software that works.

I can browse with Konqueror, but when when I close Konqueror, close the connection and try to log out, it takes a long time for the machine to shut down. It just stops responding. A few times I've given up and killed it manually. I've tried doing "modprobe -r ppp_async", but it still hangs. There's no disk activity--the machine just stops doing anything as far as I can tell.

If I close Konquorer and the Internet connection, I can run other programs OK. If I wait a while before attempting to shut down, it will shut down quickly.

I assume that the above problems are all related.

Any ideas? I'm new to Linux, so please be explicit with advice.