connect two linux boxes by a crossover cable (Yu Sun)

Yu Sun yusun9_99 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 29 13:55:07 UTC 2004

Thank you all for your help!

I understand ssh is superior to telnet. What I actually intended to
know is how to test the "mini" LAN to make sure it works correctly
beyond 'ping'. I re-checked the two '/etc/xinetd/telnet' files on
both hosts, and 'disable' is set to 'NO'. I reboot the both machine.
Telnet is still not working. Neither are ssh, scp, rsh etc. (rsh is
the function I really want, I try to install the mpich to test if I
can run parallel program and get speedup by using two machines
connected by a crossover cable, any suggestions about that is
welcomed too).

On host1, I type:

  % /usr/sbin/telneted.d      ( I am not sure I spell correctly here)

I got some message I remember indicating telnet is already running or
something. Then,

  % /usr/sbin/telneted.d -debug 80
(according to 'man', this is to manually start the server at port 80,
seems running)

on host 2, I type:
   % telnet host1 24
again got 'connection refused'

How do you know the Telnet server is running?
On host 1, I type:
   % telnet host1 or % ssh host1
It let me login as normal telnet or ssh client, does it mean telnet
or ssh server is runing on host1?

Yu