Time Server

MKlinke mklinke at axsi.com
Tue Jun 29 16:09:39 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 29 June 2004 10:52, Ryan Golhar wrote:
> I haven't been able to find any documentation regarding time server
> in RedHat Linux.  I want to set up my server to act as a time
> server for other clients.  I have the ntp package installed, but it
> seems to only sync itself with another server.
>
> Ideally, I would like my server (server A) to sync with another
> server (Main Server), and have clients then sync to server A.  Does
> anyone know how to do this?
>
> Ryan

Look in /usr/share/doc/ntp-xxxx for notes.htm, debug.htm (it's present
in my RH9 systems)

A minimalist configuration file might look like this:

==== ntp.conf ====
restrict <your_net_addr;i.e.:xxx.xxx.xxx.0> mask <e.g.255.255.255.0>
notrust nomodify notrap
server <addr_of_ntp_server_for_this_machine>
fudge   127.127.1.0 stratum 10
driftfile /etc/ntp/drift

You can build from here for your desired level of security and other
features.

Don't forget to open up your firewall for the ntp ports. (UDP 123)

Regards,  Mike Klinke