Time Server

Alexey Fadyushin fab at s-tunnel.com
Tue Jun 29 18:36:34 UTC 2004

You can find the NTP documentation in the directory
/usr/share/doc/ntp-XXXXXX where XXXXXX is the version of ntpd.
The ntpd daemon may be used not only for syncronization of itself with
other NTP server(s) but also may be used as a time source for the
clients.

You can use the following configuration lines in your NTP configuration
file
(/etc/ntp.conf):

server <server name or IP address>

This line (which could be repeated as needed in the case of multiple NTP
time sources
for your server) tells the ntpd daemon to use the server named on this
line as a
time source for your NTP server.

For your clients which should get the time from your server
you could add the following string (which also could be repeated as
needed):

restrict <address of network where cliwnts reside> mask <netmask of
network with clients> notrust nomodify notrap noquery

This line allows your clients to request time from your server and
prohibiths other types
of NTP requests from them (e.g. clients can not be used as time sources
for
your server.

Alexey Fadyushin
Brainbench MVP for Linux