dump and ext3

Alexey Fadyushin fab at s-tunnel.com
Wed Jun 30 18:21:53 UTC 2004

>Coming from a BSD background I've recently installed RH9
>on a couple of machines and now want to make backups.
>However I find that the default installation results in
>ext3 file systems but the man pages tell me that dump
>and restore are for ext2 systems.
>Where can I obtain dump and restore for ext3?
>Malcolm

The ext3 filesystem is compatible with the ext2 filesystem, actually,
it is ext2 filesystem with the journal in special file that is usually
invisible. Therefore, you could dump the ext3 filesystem using the dump
program wtitten for ext2 filesystem. For prevention of interference of
dump with
journal file (I think that such interference may occur) the filesystem
to dump should be unmounted or remounted as ext2.
The ext3 filesystem dumped as ext2 (using the dump program for ext2)
could be restored using restore for ext2. Most probably, restore program
written for ext2 will restore it as ext2 (i.e. without journal).
The journal can be added to restored filesystem using 'tune2fs -j',
which will convert ext2 to ext3.

Alexey Fadyushin.
Brainbench MVP for Linux.
http://www.brainbench.com