routing problems

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Mon Mar 1 21:35:22 UTC 2004

On March 1, 2004 02:44 am, joe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an existing small network of Pc's and RH9 machines. I have been
> trying to bring up a new RH9 box on the network without any luck.
>
> I have checked the cables and they seem ok
> firewall has been disabled
> ifconfig looks ok - correct ip address & netmask, and the interface is up
> netstat -r also looks ok although the default route takes a long time to
> come up, compared to other RH9 boxes.
>
> any ideas..
>
> Joe

Hi Joe,
- ping 127.0.0.1
- ping your IP (I think you said that failed, so, presuming 127 pings, check
that the card is loaded:
1) ifconfig -a
     - show eth0, if so try without the -a.
2) cat /etc/modules.conf
      look for something like: "alias eth0 tulip"
     then  'lsmod |grep tulip'  (or whatever)
3) look at 'dmesg' and the /var/log/messages for errors about loading the nic.

--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce