pppd does not persist enough, gives up after 10 attempts

tom pollerman tompollerman at mail.landolls.com
Tue Mar 9 01:03:01 UTC 2004

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 20:59:49 -0600
"Rodolfo J. Paiz" <rpaiz at simpaticus.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Hopefully someone has a clue-by-four with which to hit me on this
> one. I have an RHL-9 box (Shrike) with all updates and ppp-2.4.1-10
> installed. This box is properly configured to dial out to my ISP on
> an ISDN line (external modem via serial port), and works beautifully
> in all ways but one: if pppd experiences 10 hang-ups, it exits and
> does not restart. Here are the relevant files:
>
> ---------------------------------------
>
> ### /etc/ppp/peers/terra
>
> demand
> persist
> ttyS1 crtscts 115200
> user 'rpaiz1 at terra.com.gt'
> connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/peers/terra-chat'
>
> ### /etc/ppp/peers/terra-chat
>
> TIMEOUT         5
> ABORT           '\nBUSY\r'
> ABORT           '\nNO ANSWER\r'
> ABORT           '\nRINGING\r\n\r\nRINGING\r'
> ''              '\rAT'
> 'OK-+++\C-OK'   ATH
> TIMEOUT         60
> OK              AT
> OK              ATB40E1\&H3\&J3Q0X5
> OK              ATDT4709999
> CONNECT         ''
>
> ### /etc/rc.d/rc.local
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> # This script will be executed *after* all the other init scripts.
> # You can put your own initialization stuff in here if you don't
> # want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.
>
> pppd call terra
> touch /var/lock/subsys/local
>
> ---------------------------------------
>
> As you can see, both the "demand" and "persist" options have been
> specified and in fact work as advertised... up until pppd sees that
> 10th hangup. Then, it's gone.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to instruct pppd in the fine art of redialing
> until hell freezes over? I don't want it to *ever* be off-line for
> more than the 2 seconds it takes to redial. And it's disturbing to
> go away on business, then not be able to connect back to the house
> because pppd got bored.

 Rodolfo,

        Have you tried:

             maxfail 0

in your /etc/ppp/options file. I believe it defaults to 10 failed
connections - even if you have the 'persist' option specified.
   You may also want to check out:

                       http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/PPP-HOWTO/x582.html

and have init 'respawn' pppd if it should stop responding.

                                          Best,

                                          Tom