Stopped booting into X

Rich Ransom ransom at kipr.org
Wed Mar 10 11:26:07 UTC 2004

I had a RH 9 box that booted up into Xwindows on startup.  It worked
fine for months with only the occasional shutdown for maintenance.
Last week we had a power outage and now when it boots up it comes to
the text login prompt, then the screen flashes like its trying to go
into GUI mode, but it stays black for a few moments then flashes back
to the text prompt.  If I log in from the console it continues to
flash the screen like its trying to start the GUI but never does.
Every other proces on the box is running good, its my backup machine
and DNS server.  I don't need X but would like to have it back.
Anyone have any ideas, and if not how can I get it to stop trying to
go into GUI screen mode?

Thanks,
Rich
--