open source content filtering

Matthew Melvin matthewm at webcentral.com.au
Mon Mar 15 03:30:25 UTC 2004

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 at 10:07pm (-0500), Paul Greene wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a good open source equivalent to commercial
> programs like Cyber Sitter or Net Nanny?
>
> Preferably the program should also be able to apply different filtering
> rules based on which particular host is attempting to access the
> internet (i.e. kid's computer, dad's computer, etc)

I use dansgaurdian in conjuction with squid for this and am very happy with
it.  It's quite cool in that it doens't just check against a list of known
bad sites but also looks at whats actually in a page to decide if it should
be allowed or not.  I don't know if it does the varying levels of filtering
based on source IP address that you're talking about though since I use
iptables and trasparent proxying for that.  Computeres to be filtered are
proxyied by dansguardin, and computers belonging to grownups are proxyied by
squid.

http://dansguardian.org/

M.

P.S.  There is also squidguard that may be worth investigating...

http://www.squidguard.org

--
:wq!