CPU Designations

roger2 roger2 at rogernet.net
Wed Mar 17 15:38:32 UTC 2004

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 07:26:37 -0800, Krautkramer, John
<John.Krautkramer at Micrel.Com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I realize this is a very basic question but here goes...
>
> What are the CPU designations expressed by:
>
>     i286, i386, i486, i586, i686, etc.
>
> I assume the first 2 are Pentium II and Pentium III respectively. What
> specifically are the others? I have the latest  Pentium 4 with
> hyperthreading. What is that CPU in this naming scheme?
>
> Not sure where yours fits in but Pentium has the same route as pentigon
as in 5 so the pentiums start at i586 but I'm not sure where the split
for 5 to 6 is I suspect yours will come uner i686
the earlier 3 are all derived from 80nnn which is the full number of the
chips.
I hope the partial answer helps.
Regards Roger