authentication question

K. Richard Pixley rich at noir.com
Thu Mar 18 04:33:41 UTC 2004

NIS has several problems.  First, the only way I can see to get samba to
authenticate via NIS is to convince all the windows clients to send
their passwords in the clear.  That's bad for two reasons, I have to
touch each and every windows client, and the passwords cross the network
in the clear.  These days that's not acceptable.

Second, NIS sends it's encrypted passwords over the wire.  This means
that anyone with a sniffer can snag a few and start running dictionary
password crackers.  NIS+ fixes this, but apparently at a high
administrative cost.  IPSEC might fix this too.  The situation is moot
in this case, though as when windows clients send encrypted passwords,
they are doing essentially the same thing.  And that's the best windows
has to offer right now.

--rich