Redhat services list

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Fri Mar 19 17:04:45 UTC 2004

At 10:35 3/19/2004, you wrote:

>For some reason, vnc is not showing up in the services list for RH8, and I
>do not know how to
>verify its installation or check to see if the daemon is running.
>
>How do I do the followig:
>         1) Enable vnc to show up in the services list
>         2) ensure that vnc is installed, and check the version of it
>         3) ensure that deamon is running and will start automatically on
> boot?

First check to see that the package you want is installed:

# rpm -qa | grep vnc

If you get nothing, or you don't get something that looks like a server
package, go get the RPM files from Red Hat's (or better, a mirror's) FTP
site and download them. Install them with "rpm -Uvh
packagename-xx.x.x.x.-y.y.y.i386.rpm". You can list two or more packages on
the same command by separating them with spaces. Then, check the output of
these two commands:

# ls -lR /etc/rc.d | grep vnc
# chkconfig --list | grep vnc

If there is a file in /etc/rc.d/init.d that resembles the name vnc, and
it's *not* listed by chkconfig, then you can likely add it. Say its name is
"vncd" or "vncserver" then you would issue the command:

# chkconfig --add vncserver

Then:

# chkconfig vncserver on
# service vncserver start