question about software compilation

Hamilton, Andrew Andrew.Hamilton at afccc.af.mil
Tue Mar 23 15:50:57 UTC 2004

When you compile something in a *nix environment, there are some standard
ways that things are done.  There are some variations to this and not
everthing uses it, but it is still considered standard.

Usually there is a configure script in the directory where you built it.
You probably built it using this very script.  If you type ./configure
--help you get an entire list of configuration options.  One of those
options would probably be --enable-delay-pools or something similar.
Sometimes these things are turned on by default and there will be a
--disable-delay-pools or something similar.  Check to see if this is the
case.  If there is such an option see if it is on by default, if not you
probably didn't compile it in.  If it is on by default you are in good shape
and just need to configure squid accordingly.  If you didn't compile it in
you will need to reconfigure and recompile.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Drew