Restoring to different hardware - tar / cpio etc...

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Wed Mar 24 15:09:37 UTC 2004

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 07:58:30AM -0500, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 March 2004 10:18 pm, Distribution Lists wrote:
> > Can anyone point me to some documentation or a guide on how to restore a
> > system from a back up taken from a physically different machine, i.e.
> > different disks, NICs etc...
>
> Do you want to restore the whole system, ie. the OS, or just data ? if it's
> just data, it's easy cause GNU tar is compatible across platform. What is the
> format of the backup?

I kind of had the feeling that he hadn't made the backup yet but was
trying to do some planning for disaster recovery purposes.  I really,
really wish people would tell us what they're trying to accomplish when
they post questions rather than make us guess.  Frequently, the posters
are asking the wrong questions because they're heading down the wrong
path to begin with.  I'm going to hold of answering the original
question until it's clarified as to what s/he is trying to do.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org