/dev/cdrom just disapeared

Harry Hoffman hhoffman at ip-solutions.net
Mon Mar 1 09:33:02 UTC 2004

Hi Juan,

/dev/cdrom is just a symlink to your actual CD-ROM drive. You can find out what
your device is by looking thru the kernel messages with the command dmesg.

Find the device and create a symlink from it to /dev/cdrom and you'll be fine.

HTH,
Harry

Quoting Garcia Juan  <jgarcia.2 at caramail.com>:

*> Hello everybody,
*>
*> i'm quite newbie to linux. I installed RH9 on my laptop a few weeks ago,
*> almost everything was working ok (cdrom
*> included) but last friday an error message appeared while booting, it was
*> "fstab cannot stat /dev/cdrom, not such
*> file", i looked for the file but it's nowhere, i don't know what to do,  i
*> was thinking to boot on rescue mode and
*> then to reinstall the packetages which control devices, but i don't know how
*> to do it (saying it is easier than
*> doing it) or if there is an easier way to solve this problem, please i need
*> help, i really need the cdrom woking.
*> Thanks for all your help.
*> Best regards,
*>
*> Garcia Juan
*>
*> Pour gagner une Playstation 2, envoyez un SMS avec le code PS au 61321 (0,35
*> euro hors coût du SMS).
*>
*>

--
Harry Hoffman
hhoffman at ip-solutions.net
radical:
1) Someone waiting in line to become "The Establishment"