find local computers

Marty Landman MLandman at face2interface.com
Mon Mar 1 10:06:00 UTC 2004

At 09:36 AM 3/1/2004, MKlinke wrote:

>"nmap" will also ping as well as return the DNS name of the computers it finds

I tried this on a fbsd box where nmap is installed and the results weren't
thorough, explained to me that the arp cache wouldn't have every node in it
if they weren't recently accessed. If that's not right then it's likely my
misunderstanding.

>"host <ip_address>" returns the DNS name
>"nmblookup -A <ip_address>" returns the Netbios name

Thanks this is what I'm looking for as I can awk one of these commands and
get what I want this way.

Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc.   845-679-9387
FormATable  DB: http://face2interface.com/Products/FormATable.shtml
Free Formmailer: http://face2interface.com/Products/Formal.shtml