RE: redhat-config-* (was Re: redhat--config-network corrupts my hosts-file)

I agree and disagree.  I think they may "dumb-down" the admin .  But I also
agree that you should not stay away.  When people ask me I recommend staying
away from gui first so they can get a feel for how the filesystem is laid
out and what admin files are kept where.  And using the GUI after that
period to speed up their work

However, nowadays with scripts (like redhat-config* stuff or chkconfig )
some admins still may not know how to do things manually.  This can be
difficult when a sysadmin needs to start working on another *NUX (debian for
example does not have chkconfig nor, as one would expect, any redhat*
scripts)

Ben