[Q] how to check disk performance ?

Ben Yau byau at cardcommerce.com
Mon Mar 1 12:06:00 UTC 2004

Here are a few GNU utilities to check out
http://www.gnu.org/directory/sysadmin/monitor/IOzone.html
IOzone - Filesystem benchmark tool
(it looks complex.  I haven't used it before)

http://www.gnu.org/directory/sysadmin/monitor/xhdbench.html
Xhdbench - Tests output speed of various devices
(have not used this before either)

http://www.gnu.org/directory/sysadmin/monitor/sysstat.html
Sysstat - The sar, mpstat, and iostat commands
iostat is a pretty simple disk utility which is for some reason missing from
redhat (it's on solaris and other unices).  If you're familiar with vmstat
or netstat, iostat is similar in ease of use.

Ben