[Q] how to check disk performance ?

Ben Yau byau at cardcommerce.com
Mon Mar 1 12:55:03 UTC 2004

> >> Subject: [Q] how to check disk performance ?
> >>

> >> We would like check disks performance under AS2.1.  The disk
> >> include local
> >> disks and SAN disks.  does there has better way or utility can do it?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>

> I'm sorry maybe I'm missing something here, but wouldn't "hdparm -tT" work
> just fine?

I'm assuming that hdparm is similar to iostat.  I left it off my list as I
don't use it for diagnostics.  I would only use it in a blue moon for
get/set paramaters.

With iostat you can specify an interval as well (alhtough I suppose you
could script something with hdparm).  The disadvantage (or advantage
depending on what you're trying to test for) is that both do not necessarily
get meaningful results on active filesystems if you want to do isolated
performance testing on a live filesystem.

The other two "more complex" gnu tools supposedly will test the disk without
intruding on the filesystem and vice versa (the filesystem won't intrude on
the performance checks).  Which should give you more meaningful stats.

Good point though and something I'll have to look at in the future-

Ben Yau