NIS Problem

Dege, Robert C. robert.dege at ngc.com
Tue Mar 2 10:10:02 UTC 2004

I currently have NIS running on my network (1 master, 2 slaves).  I've only
been using passwd, group, and netgroups through NIS, but now I want to add a
new map (ethers).

I create the map on the master, and tried to propogate it to the slaves.  My
one slave is able to receive the map without errors.  The other slave will
not.  When I try to yppush the new map, I receive a "refuse to transfer map
ethers.byname, not master" error in /var/log/messages.

If I run /usr/lib/ypinit -s slave2, all of the maps transfer (including the
ethers).  But if I try to yppush, I get the same error message.  yppush only
fails on the new map (ethers).  All of the other older maps still
successfully push to the 2nd slave.

Any thoughts?

-Rob