Disallow shell access but not sftp?

Hello,

Does anyone know how one might disallow a user to logon to a secure shell but still allow them to make a secure login for ftp (sftp)? I want this person to have ftp access but not, specifically, have the ability to run passwd. I tried changing their shell to a variety of bogus filenames (/dev/null, /bin/ftponly, both as an empty file and as a symlink to /dev/null), and discovered at that point that sftp must allow an ssh login to work. I can't block in hosts.deny or allow because this user obtains an ip from the same dhcp pool we all do; denying by ip is no good.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Michael Salmons
salmonsm missouri edu