Re: Backing up over network

On Mar 3, 2004, at 2:02 AM, Michael Hamam wrote:

The easiest way to do remote backup as follows;

        1-export the filesystem on pike to bearclaw
        2-mount the exported filesystem on bearclaw
        3-use tar dump ...ETC to backup the exported filesystem.

Best Regards
MH
----- Original Message -----
From: "Gerry Doris" <gdoris rogers com>
To: <redhat-list redhat com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 8:08 PM
Subject: Re: Backing up over network

Greetings!

I have 2 RedHat boxen, One is RH 9.0 with SCSI DDS3 tape drive
(we'll name
it bearclaw).  The other is RH 8.0, with 100 GB IDE drive(named
pike).

Pike has ~41 gig of MP3's on his drive.  I want to back them up to
Bearclaw's DDS3 drive.

What is the easiest way to do this?  Will dd work?  It's my
understanding
that dd does not support tape spanning.  I have 12gig (native)
tapes, so
I'll need to span accross about 4 tapes, to get it all.

Thanks!
Brian

If you want to do to tape then I suggest either Amanda or Arkeia.
Although Arkeia is a commercial product they do provide a "Light"
version
that is limited to a server plus two clients.  I've used it and it
works
well.

Gerry

Have you compared this performance-wise to tar -zcf remotehost:/dev/tapedrive or dump -0uf remotehost:/dev/tapedrive ?

Jurvis LaSalle