SCSI problem - Adaptec AHA-2940UW adapter in Compac Professional Workstation AP200

Edward Dekkers edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Thu Mar 4 01:33:02 UTC 2004

Pete Nesbitt wrote:

> On March 3, 2004 09:33 am, Johnny Smith wrote:
>
>>When installing Redhat 9.0 on this box I get these
>>messages 'initially during Boot Up'
>>
>>Scsi-ID 1 HP
>>
>>SCSI Bios'not installed'
>>
>>I have an HP Scanjet 4P  attached to this box.
>>and SANE cannot find the scanner
>>
>>I'm not really conversant with SCSI.. and am not
>>sure what I have to do next to deal with the
>>SCSI Bios'not installed'  problem or
>>exactly what the machine is telling me?
>>
>>Can someone give some direction?
>>Thanks in advance.
>>
>>Johnny
>>

> Johnny,
> The Adaptec card may not have the bios turned on. IIRC after the system runs
> post, at the adaptec card info press "ctl-a". That will put you into the
> cards settings where you can check that the on-card bios is enabled.

Just to add to the confusion. Scanners should work just fine with
BIOS-Less SCSI. I've run Epson GT series scanners off Adaptec AV150x
cards under Linux frequently in the past. The 150x cards are ISA, and do
not have a BIOS. The BIOS is handy for Hard drives/other devices that
need to boot, but are not required to get the scanner to work. I
honestly don't think this is your problem.

Question is, does RedHat 9 actually SEE the scsi card? To find out, have
a look through your boot messages and check whether it picks up the card.

Regards,
Ed.