SCSI problem - Adaptec AHA-2940UW adapter in Compac Professional Workstation AP200

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Thu Mar 4 03:33:02 UTC 2004

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Pete Nesbitt wrote:

> On March 3, 2004 09:33 am, Johnny Smith wrote:
> > When installing Redhat 9.0 on this box I get these
> > messages 'initially during Boot Up'
> >
> > Scsi-ID 1 HP
> >
> > SCSI Bios'not installed'
> >
> > I have an HP Scanjet 4P  attached to this box.
> > and SANE cannot find the scanner
> >
> > I'm not really conversant with SCSI.. and am not
> > sure what I have to do next to deal with the
> > SCSI Bios'not installed'  problem or
> > exactly what the machine is telling me?
> >
> > Can someone give some direction?
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Johnny
> >

> Johnny,
> The Adaptec card may not have the bios turned on. IIRC after the system runs
> post, at the adaptec card info press "ctl-a". That will put you into the
> cards settings where you can check that the on-card bios is enabled.

Unless the Adaptec card detects a bootable device at ID 0, 1 or 2 on the
SCSI chain, it won't install the SCSI BIOS...in other words, the SCSI BIOS
routines won't be addd to that of the rest of the system.  If there were a
bootable device (hard disk, CDROM, etc) at SCSI ID 0, 1 or 2, the BIOS
would install itself into the system BIOS routines, to allow the system to
be able to boot from that drive.

If there's only a scanner on the SCSI system, you can ignore the "BIOS not
installed" message.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit