can't mount "/" partition

Peter Smith pasmith at wbmpl.com.au
Thu Mar 4 17:43:05 UTC 2004

I believe NFS refuses to mount a directory which contains a subdirectory
which is mounted, to avoid circular references.

Thus, if "/var" is physically on your "/" partition, and you have "/var"
mounted on another machine via NFS, then you cannot mount "/" as well.

Either make "/var" a separate partition or be content with seeing everything
from a single mount of "/".

At least, that is the way it was under HP-UX; nowadays I use Samba which is
less fussy.

Regards,
Peter Smith