module load errors & mice

I'm working on my first Redhat box: Dell 360, running (first) 2.4.21-9.EL.
1) When the OS loads I get a modload error telling me it cannot find "block-major-2".
Sounds ugly, but the system works.  Should I worry?

2) I upgraded to 2.4.21-9.1EL & when that one loaded (besides 4 of the above errors),
my USB mouse freezes in midscreen.  Dmesg gives a bunch of USB errors, including
some that say they are disabling the ports.  A IRQ problem, perhaps??

Can anyone help me muddle through these?  I'm a Solaris guy, trying to make the change!

Thanks

Pat

Pat Ryan
Technical Manager, geophysics