permissions quandary

I've got a development server running my live site on my lan and am getting it set up to use suexec on apache. One problem I'm running into is with setting permissions properly.

Have chrooted everything for the site over the correct user:group, however for directories it seems they need to be 0755 in order for files in them to be readable.

chmod -R ga+X .

set everything to 0755, so I tried something to change non-dirs back to 0744

[root penguin howami]# chmod -R ga-X ./*.cgi
chmod: failed to get attributes of `./*.cgi': No such file or directory
[root penguin howami]#

So how can I do this? Hope it makes sense.

Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc.   845-679-9387
FormATable  DB: http://face2interface.com/Products/FormATable.shtml
Free Formmailer: http://face2interface.com/Products/Formal.shtml