Syslog server

Harry Hambi harry.hambi at bbc.co.uk
Mon Mar 8 06:47:01 UTC 2004

Hello all,.
What I would like to do is to set up a linux box as a syslog server.
There's a couple of documents i've read which say the logs can be sent
to a database, viewed over a web interface using PHP, this sounds
great.just what I need ( see attached doc.).However, due to my lack of
linux skills this doc is not easy to follow.Is this something anyone has
done before?,
What do I want to achieve?, I have some cisco switches I would like to
monitor ie who last logged on, what changes were made, etc & would like
to view these events via web browser.Is there an easier way to achieve
this without the comlexity of the attached document.

I've managed to get my linux box to listen on port 514 by editing the
file /etc/sysconfig/syslog adding -r to the line SYSLOGD_OPTIONS="-m 0
-r" .
Hope you can help .
Rgds.
Harry.