SSL certificate needed?

Hi all,
  This may be too basic a question but I would like some
opinions.  So here goes:

We are setting up a small web viewer to distribute medical
x-ray images and reports under SSL.  We will be collecting no
information from the clients.  This is a one way street.  We
plan on using SSL, but I wonder if it is necessary to pay
Verisign US$1600 every two years for their certificate?

Thanks.  All input appreciated.

Bob Hartung