SSL certificate needed?

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Mon Mar 8 12:03:16 UTC 2004

On March 8, 2004 08:34 am, Robert Hartung* wrote:
> Hi all,
>   This may be too basic a question but I would like some
> opinions.  So here goes:
>
> We are setting up a small web viewer to distribute medical
> x-ray images and reports under SSL.  We will be collecting no
> information from the clients.  This is a one way street.  We
> plan on using SSL, but I wonder if it is necessary to pay
> Verisign US$1600 every two years for their certificate?
>
> Thanks.  All input appreciated.
>
> Bob Hartung

If you have a 'know' client list who trust your site, you can create your own
certificate. The down side is that the users must initially accept your
certificate which will appear as an unknown or untrusdted certificate when
they first visit the site.

You should probably look at 'man openssl' and the httpd.apache.org web site,
where you can search the docs for "self-signed ssl cert" or similar.
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce