The modem chicken and egg question.

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Mon Mar 8 19:59:07 UTC 2004

On March 8, 2004 04:30 pm, Roger Beever wrote:
> Sent on behalf of Janet who has just joined from the Linuxathome yahoo
> group and taken to plunge in trying RH9.
> Hi
>   We have a problem with a Motorola SM56 PCI Speakerphone.
> The wizard does not find it on the newly installed RH 9 system.
> We have found a drive on the Motorola site at
> http://www.motorola.com/softmodem/driver.htm via
> http://www.linmodems.org and since the system is dual boot I have
> recommended saving to floppy but I'm not sure of the exact steps from
> there. There are some short instructions but I'm not sure they will work
> if the RPM is on a floppy.
> Could someone please explain / expand on how to to get the RPM installed
> and the modem working.
> But please keep the steps Newbie sized.
> This will enable another member to join the Linux community and no doubt
> me to learn a bit as well.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Roger

Hi Roger,
it is likely the Windows file system is readable from linux. That would make
things very simple.

Try this:
-determine what filesystems are where
 "fdisk -l"
-make a mount point
 "mkdir /mnt/windows"
-try to mount it (eg. with windows on hda1)
 "mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows"
-if needed, define the file system (eg. fat32) (see man)
 "mount -t fat32 /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows"
-from there you can install the rpm

--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce