RPM Installer dies.

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Tue Mar 9 10:06:04 UTC 2004

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 09:25:17 -0500, Michael Kalus wrote:

> I have a rather strange problem and wonder if anybody else has
> encountered it:
>
> It seems that on some RPMs under RH9 the RPM installer just gets stuck.
> When I kill the process the system doesn't seem to be affected, but I
> can't run RPM anymore until I reboot (though it now occurs to me that I
> might want to see if there are any processes left running).

Since Red Hat Linux 8.0, it can happen that RPM runs into stale locks.
The work-around, which does not require a reboot, is to interrupt [or
even kill, if necessary] the processes related to RPM and/or packaging
tools and then remove the temporary files which are locked:

  rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db.*

Running

  rpm -vv --rebuilddb

for safety reasons would be an idea, too. After these two steps, RPM
should work again.

> I upgraded to Fedora Core 1 yesterday and it shows the exact same
> behaviour (I'd guess that the upgrade did not completely replace the RPM
> stuff).

It should not happen regulary. Verify that you have the correct version
of RPM installed.