Linux traffic shaping problem

Steve steve at focb.co.nz
Tue Mar 9 15:26:00 UTC 2004

If you have recompiled your kernel then you will need to select this,
(under make menuconfig options) otherwise, it is already turned on for
stock redhat kernels.

You will also need the iproute2 tools (tc, ip, etc - the rpm is on the
redhat cd)

Then you will have to work out what it is exactly that you are trying to
do, and keep in mind, shaping only works in the outbound (egress)
direction, so in order to do shaping of traffic comming into your network
you will need to control both ends of your link.

When this is all sorted out then I would suggest you read the traffic
shaping howto's (a google search will find htese for you) which will give
you some idea of how things work, but sadly tend to be rather complex to
understand, once you've had a bash at that then you can post questions
here and people may be able to help, but keep in mind, its a complex
subject so keep your questions specific. things such as "it doesn't work"
are not especially conducive to getting an answer back past "yes it does"
:-)

--
Steve.