logwatch question

tom pollerman tompollerman at mail.landolls.com
Fri Mar 12 11:27:01 UTC 2004

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004 07:13:27 -0500
Bill Tangren <bjt at aa.usno.navy.mil> wrote:

> I am having a problem with logwatch. I am trying to get it to only
> report what happens in the logs for the previous day. At least for
> some logs, it isn't doing that.
>
> An example. I rotate the cron log once a week. When I set
> 'Detail=Med', I noticed that mrtg was running, and I didn't use it,
> so I removed it from the system (I am running RH 9 with all the
> current updates). I found that logwatch still reported it as
> running. I looked at logwatch.conf, and noticed that I had 'Archives
> = Yes' and 'Range = yesterday'. The cron log doesn't show any mrtg
> activity since I removed it from the system. This is what logwatch
> reported today:

  Bill,

     The default setting in Logwatch is to report ALL the services
listed in /etc/log.d/scripts/services/*. If you don't want mrtg to be
reported you can remove it from there. Or, you can explicitly list the
services Logwatch reportes by editing /etc/conf/logwatch and changing
'Service=ALL' to 'Service=<theservicesyouwant>'. Just add additional
Service=<?> lines.
  ie.,

Service=modprobe
Service=init